When thinking about purchasing a dishwasher for hard water, the first thing you should take into account is its cleaning power. Secondly, the materials used for the tub are very important so you won’t have to deal with rust and other nasty elements.
However, there is more to it than that. Depending on the type of household you reside in, you’ll also want to consider its capacity, size, and even energy efficiency so you can get the best out of it. Fortunately, we have gathered the best dishwashers for hard water right here in this buying guide.
- 1 Best Dishwasher For Hard Water (Updated List)
- 1.1 5. Danby DDW1804EBSS 18 Inch Built in Dishwasher For Hard Water
- 1.2 4. Farberware Professional FCD06ABBWHA Countertop Dishwasher
- 1.3 3. Frigidaire FFCD2413US Built-in Dishwasher For Hard Water
- 1.4 2. SPT SD-9263W Portable Dishwasher
- 1.5 1. BLACK+DECKER BCD6W Dishwasher For Hard Water
- 2 Final Thoughts
Best Dishwasher For Hard Water (Updated List)
Before we get into the rankings, let’s first look at our top 3 picks for the best dishwasher for hard water. Afterward, we’ll rank all the models based on performance, cleaning power, and other important specifications. Whichever one you end up choosing, you’ll get a good dishwasher that manages to keep hard water spots under control.
However, bear in mind that you will also need to use dishwasher detergent specifically made for hard water. How so? Well, the calcium and magnesium in hard water bond to surfaces, so it’s important to insert substances that prevent them from sticking. This is where softeners and specialized detergents come into play. And now let’s see the dishwashers that play the best with these detergents, softeners, and rinse aid agents.
5. Danby DDW1804EBSS 18 Inch Built in Dishwasher For Hard Water
- Space saving 18” wide built in dishwasher for compact space living
- 8 place setting capacity and silverware basket
- Dimensions: 17 11/16" W x 22 13/16" D x 32 8/16" H | Max Adjustable Product Height: 34 7/16"
|Dimensions:||22.81 x 17.69 x 32.5 inches|
|Noise rating:||52 dB|
We couldn’t have a dishwasher for the hard water lineup without mentioning the Danby DDW1804EBSS. Its high efficiency, temperature options, delay start feature, and all the other amenities make it a wonderful appliance for homes that have to deal with limescale on a regular basis.
The DDW1804EBSS is as quiet as a midrange dishwasher can get. At just 52 decibels, you’ll barely hear it in the background if you’re having a regular conversation. It’s only at night that it will disturb you if you choose to run it during that time. Let’s see the pros and cons:
Given the fact that Danby is one of the best brands that we’re reviewed, it’s no wonder that at least one of their dishwashers would land on this list. Not only is it great against hard water, but it’s also got temperature options for those who want a good drying experience.
However, what we liked most about it are its electronic controls with a digital display. Basically, it’s easy to use and as convenient as any dishwasher can ever be. And on top of all that, it even consumes little electricity and water, so you will save money in the long run despite its slightly higher price.
4. Farberware Professional FCD06ABBWHA Countertop Dishwasher
- Dimensions: Depth - Door Shut (with Handle): 21.7" | Depth - Door Shut (without Handle): 20" | Depth With Door Open 90 Degrees: 29" | Dishwasher Size: 21" | Height - Maximum: 17.2" | Height - Minimum: 17.2" | Product Depth: 21.7" | Product Height: 17.2" | Product Width: 19.7" | Product Weight: 44.1 lb
- Six-place setting: the six-place setting capacity allows you to wash a variety of dishes (up to 10-inches in diameter) and includes folding down rack shelves and a cutlery basket
- Quick installation: Features a quick connect assembly with accessories and adapters included to easily connect directly to your faucet
|Dimensions:||21.7 x 19.7 x 17.2 inches|
|Noise rating:||54 dB|
Despite the fact that it’s highly portable, the Farberware Professional FCD06ABBWHA can hold dishes that are quite large in diameter. Sure, you might not be able to squeeze in large pots and pans, but what can you expect at this size?
What matters most is its ability to handle hard water. And oh boy it sure does. Not only that, but it also has an extra drying function that takes care of humidity as well. Plus that you can use cold water if, for some reason, you don’t have hot water available. Yes, the FCD06ABBWHA’s heating element is truly amazing. Many people might actually be willing to buy it for this reason alone, and we totally understand why.
At the end of the day, the Farberware FCD06ABBWHA is a great dishwasher for hard water thanks to its numerous washing programs with excellent rinse aid integration. There are many things to love about this dishwasher; that’s why we’ve also made an individual review.
In short, the combination of low price, smart wash cycles, and cleaning efficiency make this an excellent unit for just about anybody looking for a compact dishwasher. And one of the best parts by far is that it accepts all types of detergent, be it powder, tabs, pods, or liquid. Just make sure that the detergent is made for hard water.
3. Frigidaire FFCD2413US Built-in Dishwasher For Hard Water
No products found.
|Dimensions:||37 x 28 x 27 inches|
|Noise rating:||60 dB|
The more you look through the Frigidaire FFCD2413US’s set of features, the more you realize just how much of a bargain this particular model is in reality. It’s got 14 place settings, more than enough to fit pots, pans, and numerous other dishes with ease.
We like it because it handles hard water impressively well, especially when using quality rinse aid and specialized detergent. The fact that the FFCD2413US only has 3 wash cycles might be a turnoff for some people as they think that it might not be enough for all the types of situations one can encounter. However, that’s as far from the truth as possible because all the cycles are so well thought out that they can cover numerous types of dirt, dish materials, and so forth.
In conclusion, the Frigidaire FFCD2413US is by far the best 24-inch built-in dishwasher for hard water. If you need that extra space for large dishes or multiple plates, then you can’t go wrong with this one given its price tag and numerous other features.
It’s also worth noting that we have also selected it as one of the best drying dishwashers we’ve reviewed so far. With that said, you’re basically getting two main benefits. That means you’ll have no more white spots on dishes, and you’ll also get rid of the need to hang them on a dish drying rack.
2. SPT SD-9263W Portable Dishwasher
- SD-9263W: 18″ Energy Star Portable Dishwasher - WHITE
- Capacity: 8 place setting
- 6 Wash programs: Heavy, Normal, Eco, Glass, 90 Min, Rapid
|Dimensions:||23.63 x 17.64 x 35.63 inches|
|Noise rating:||52 dB|
If you want a portable dishwasher that can tackle hard water problems with ease, we recommend the SPT SD-9263W. It handles many dishwashing tasks thanks to its well-thought wash cycles. As for hard water itself, it has a rinse aid warning indicator so that you will always know how much you need.
The dishwasher’s stainless steel interior is also ideal for hard water because it resists rust perfectly. Furthermore, the SPT SD-9263W has an adjustable upper rack and easy-to-use controls that allow you to customize the wash cycles to your liking. In conclusion, this dishwasher is both easy to move around, easy to use, and highly efficient all at the same time. Considering all of these factors, it’s easy to see why so many people have given this dishwasher such good ratings.
Considering this is easily one of the best portable dishwashers we’ve reviewed, it’s no wonder that it has also made it on this list. With 8 place settings, you have enough room for multiple dishes if you live with just three or four other people.
In any case, there’s more than enough room for pots and pans. And with the right detergent, it will be able to power through stuck-on food, grease, and other nasty types of dish dirt. We recommend it wholeheartedly, especially if your budget isn’t ideal for an efficient full-sized dishwasher.
1. BLACK+DECKER BCD6W Dishwasher For Hard Water
- 7 SUPERIOR WASH CYCLES: With this incredible BLACK+DECKER portable dishwasher, you find the right wash cycle that works for you and your dishes. Our 7 wash cycles for this 21.5” x 21.7” x 17.2” dishwasher machine include: Normal, Intensive, Eco, Glass, 90 Minutes, Rapid & Soak. Save water and time in the kitchen cleaning by letting this stainless steel dishwasher do all the hard work.
- LED DISPLAY: Set your wash cycle and time with ease thanks to this intuitive dish washer LED display. Thanks to its easy-to-navigate electronic touch controls, you can see remaining cycle time and even delay start time. Child lock included with portable dish washing machine to secure maximum safety.
- QUICK CONNECT: Hook up your must-have white dishwasher with a seamless Quick Connect assembly, hooking right up to the faucet. No need for direct plumbing or permanent installation. With this portable dishwasher, you conveniently connect when you need clean dishes and disconnect when not in use.
|Dimensions:||19.6 x 21.7 x 17 inches|
|Noise rating:||60 dB|
Our top pick for the best dishwasher for hard water is the BLACK+DECKER BCD6W. The top spot is well-deserved because it’s sleek, easy to clean, easily usable, and fits dishes up to ten inches in diameter.
It’s got a 24-hour delay start option, an easily removable filter, a removable cutlery basket, and plenty of cycle settings to allow you to wash a multitude of dishes. Another thing that we like about it is that it comes with a child safety lock. In short, it’s both efficient and equipped with most of the options that you’d want in a countertop dishwasher. And what’s more impressive is the fact that this company doesn’t make dishwashers per se. They’re much more well-known for tools like drills and similar items.
If you want a compact solution against hard water, the BLACK+DECKER BCD6W offers amazing results from the very start. All in all, there’s really nothing all that bad you can say about it, especially if you don’t mind washing pots and pans by hand.
All in all, you can’t really go wrong with it. And it’s worth every penny, despite the fact that it’s slightly more expensive than other similarly-sized units on this list. At the end of the day, it gets our top spot because it has the most satisfied customers when it comes to hard water in particular.
Hopefully, we’ve helped you decide which is the best dishwasher for hard water in your particular case. Anyway, you’ll most likely be extremely happy whichever one you end up choosing. If for whatever reason, you’re not happy with any of these selections, we invite you to check out our other categories and our homepage.
Also, feel free to leave us a comment below with any suggestions or other thoughts. We’re happy to receive feedback regarding our articles and our dishwasher choices from people who have tried them out. In fact, all of our reviews rely heavily on ratings and feedback left by customers who have purchased dishwashers.