Many of the best dishwasher soap variants currently on the market do a great job for a relatively low price.
However, only a few are truly spectacular when it comes to balancing powerful cleaning power, high quality ingredients, and an excellent price to value ratio.
Top Dishwasher Soap (Updated List)
Before getting into the rankings, let us look at our top three dishwasher soap options out of all the ones currently available.
We’ve selected these based on their user reviews, overall customer satisfaction, and efficiency against hardened food stains, hard water, etc.
12. Grab Green Natural Dishwasher Detergent Soap Pods
- Contains: 1- 60 Pod Bag of Grab Green Natural Fragrance Free Automatic Dishwashing Detergent Pods. Our velcro closure bags are convenient and easy to use, no hassling with frustrating zip closures
- Naturally Effective: Specifically formulated to cut through grease and stuck on food without harsh chemicals, noxious fumes or caustic chemicals, leaving a spot free, brilliant shine
- Fragrance Free: Our convenient, pre-measured pods are hypoallergenic, free and clear of all scents and dyes, perfect for individuals with fragrance sensitivities. Just drop one in your dishwasher and easily tackle your toughest loads
|24, 60, or 132 Pods
If you want a natural option for dishwasher soap, then by all means try out the Grab Green Natural Pods. They’re free of fragrances, scents, dyes, and other nasty chemicals that might harm you and your pets.
We like that it’s made with cruelty-free methods, so no animals were harmed or agitated during the research, development, testing, or distribution processes of this product. Even better, despite not having harmful chemicals, it still works wonders on hardened food bits, tea stains, and other nasty dish residues. Overall, we highly recommend the Grab Green Natural Soap Pods.
The Grab Green Natural Dishwasher Detergent Pods come in three separate package options and go for a relatively decent price considering that they are made with natural non-toxic ingredients.
We recommend these dishwasher soap pods because of the overwhelmingly positive user reviews, lack of toxic ingredients, and their effective cleaning power even in most hard water conditions.
11. Method Power Dish Dishwasher Soap Packs
- Contains (6) resealable pouches with 20 individual packs of dishwasher soap inside
- Dishwasher detergent packs with mineral and plant-based stain lifting power.
- Free of phosphates and chlorine bleach.
|20 or 45 Pods
|Lemon Mint Extract
Made without parabens and phthalates, the Method Power Dishwasher Soap Packs are convenient and natural.
This brand is known for making cruelty-free products, so if you’re concerned about animal rights, we highly recommend the Method Power Soap Packs. On top of that, they’re safe to use for septic and grey water systems as well.
Even better, the packaging is made from recycled materials. Overall, these pacs are quite amazing even when you consider the slightly higher price.
The Method Power Dish Dishwasher Soap Packs are completely natural and free from harmful dyes, chemical, and toxins.
We like the fact that it powers even through 48-hour stuck-on food. Most detergents can barely handle food that’s been stuck for 24 hours, let alone twice that much.
10. Cascade Pure Essentials Dishwasher Soap Pods
- Cascade ActionPacs, 58 Count
- Formulated with biobased* and other thoughtfully selected ingredients.(*1/3 biobased ingredients)
- Pure Essentials is Cascade's only dye-free liquid top
|58 or 62 Pods
A basic yet reliable offering from the folks at Cascade, the Pure Essentials Dishwasher Pods clean stuck-on foods and stains well.
It has no phosphates or chlorine bleach, making this option safer for the environment and for septic systems. Each pod is wrapped in a soluble film that fully dissolves every single time without leaving anything behind.
Furthermore, the Cascade Pure Essentials Pods have dye-free liquid tops, so there’s even less reason to worry about your disposal going bad or encountering other problems with your plumbing. It’s a safe bet for those who care both for their dishes, appliances, and the well-being of their household.
The Cascade Pure Essentials Dishwasher Soap Pods are versatile enough to accommodate both full-fledged as well as countertop dishwashers.
It’s one of their more basic offerings that only includes dishwasher soap and no booster or rinse aid. However, it gets the job done well and it’s less harmful to the environment.
9. Finish Quantum Infinity Shine Dishwasher Soap + Jet Dry Rinse Aid
- NEW FINISH QUANTUM INFINITY SHINE: the new Finish Quantum Infinity Shine scrubs, degreases, and shines delivering our best ever in clean and shine vs. Finish Quantum with 3 separate fast dissolving chambers
- POWER: scrubbing power to break down and remove toughest stuck on food in one wash
- GEL: Grease cutting power handles even the toughest messes
|70 Tabs + 8.45 Fl. Oz. Rinse Aid
If you’re looking for a package that includes both dishwasher soap and a reliable rinse aid agent, the Finish Quantum Infinity Shine is worth checking out.
Using these tablets is as simple as it gets. Place a tab for a full dishwasher load, add rinse aid agent to prevent hard mineral buildup, and then run the wash cycle. We like the rinse aid’s power because it’s effective even in areas that are heavily affected by hard water.
Furthermore, the Finish Quantum Infinity Shine Tablets handle grease and stuck-on foods excellently. As for tea, coffee, and wine stains, you’ll be pleased to hear that they’re no match for it. Overall, it’s a good cleaning agent that does the trick flawlessly 9 out of 10 times.
The Finish Quantum Infinity Shine Dishwasher Soap is a great choice for people living in areas affected by hard water.
Although it isn’t an organic detergent, we like the fact that the tub is recyclable. All you need to do is remove the plastic sleeve beforehand and then place it in the recycling bin.
8. Cascade Platinum Dishwasher Pods ActionPacs
- No pre-wash needed. Cascade Platinum with Oxi dishwasher detergent cleans 24-hour stuck-on food so well you can skip the pre-wash. This can save up to 15 gallons of water per dishwasher load!
- Cascade's best stain-fighting formula
- Cascade's best dishwashing detergent keeps your silverware and dishwasher sparkling
Cascade has been known to make some fantastic dishwasher soap detergents over the years. Their Platinum Pods are no exception.
Using this dishwasher soap is as easy as it gets. Just put one ActionPac in the detergent dispenser for a full load of dishes. Then sit back and let the dishwasher do its thing. No pre-measuring, and definitely no pre-rinsing required.
The Cascade Platinum ActionPacs cut through grease, remove hardened stains, 24-hour stuck-on food, and just about anything you can imagine. After all, they come from a brand that has been known to provide top quality products at affordable prices.
The Cascade Platinum Dishwasher ActionPacs offer high efficiency against all types of stains and stuck-on foods.
We like the fact that you can easily skip the pre-rinsing process without any worries. It works on all types of dishes from fragile glassware all the way to heavily-soiled pots and pans.
7. Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwasher Soap Lemon Scent
- Dishwasher gel cuts through grease leaving dishes streak-free and sparkling clean
- Safe* and effective formula made with plant-based ingredients
- Free of synthetic fragrances, chlorine, phosphate, and dyes
|42 Fluid Ounces
|Powerful Lemon Scent
If you like the smell of lemons, you’re gonna love the Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwasher Soap.
It’s made almost entirely from plant-based ingredients with very few man-made chemicals. Even so, the few chemicals that it does contain aren’t as harmful.
Also, the Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwasher Soap is free of synthetic fragrances, chlorine, phosphate, and dyes. It’s safe for your septic system as well as grey water system, rivers, etc.
The Seventh Generation Dishwasher Soap comes in a fairly drop-resistant plastic bottle with a nice and tightly-screwed cap.
As far as cleaning power goes, most people were very pleased with the results, and we can vouch for the fact that it is indeed far less toxic than many other dishwasher detergents out there.
6. Bubble Bandit Dishwasher Detergent with Natural Phosphates
- [MAXIMUM CLEANING POWER:] Our dishwasher detergent includes the maximum amount of natural phosphates permitted for institutional food service use, ensuring your dishes come out spotless, even in hard water conditions.
- [ECONOMICAL USAGE:] Bubble Bandit's powerful formula means you only need 2 to 3 tablespoons for each wash cycle. This 7.5 lbs. bag offers incredible value, saving you money and resources.
- [SEPTIC AND GREYWATER SAFE:] Our detergent is compatible with septic and greywater systems, making it an environmentally responsible choice for your dishwashing needs.
|60 Ounces x 2 Bags (7.5 Pounds)
|Fresh Clean Scent
By far one of the best against hard water is the Bubble Bandit Natural Phosphates Soap.
The version we’re presenting today comes in a two package version for a relatively good price. Considering how many dishes you’ll be able to wash with 7.5 pounds, we think it’s worth every penny.
In other aspects, the Bubble Bandit Dishwasher Detergent is good at eliminating haze from dishes. As for limescale buildup, it works on that too. You’d be surprised how efficient it is when using it. Yes, even in areas with extremely hard water.
The Bubble Bandit Dishwasher Soap is a great choice as long as you don’t live in NY, MD, and SC.
As for the other states, the type of phosphates that this detergent has aren’t regulated. So you can rest assured that you can wash as many dishes as you please using this dishwasher soap.
5. Beyond Natural Auto Dishwasher Soap Tablets
- EFFECTIVE: Dishwasher detergent that's tough on grease but gentle on the planet. Our tablets work hard to effectively clean with plant and bio-based power in short dishwasher cycles to save water
- EASY TO USE: Just add one Beyond Auto Dishwasher Tablet to your dishwasher dispenser or silverware tray and select preferred cycle. Effective in HE machines, short cycles and hard water conditions
- FREE FROM: Dyes, fragrances, and chlorine bleach. Just concentrated mineral and plant-based ingredients to keep your dishes spotless. Contains 75% USDA Certified Biobased Content
|32 Dishwasher Tablets
Made with completely natural ingredients, the Beyond Auto Dishwasher Tablets do a fantastic job.
We like the included rinse-aid agent found in each tablet and the fact that they come in a soluble film. This way, not only are they natural, but they don’t produce any waste.
Furthermore, everything regarding the Beyond Dishwasher Tabs’ packaging is completely recyclable. They’re a match made in heaven for people who want to protect the environment and get dishes clean without any effort.
The Beyond Natural Auto Dishwasher Tablets has ultra-concentrated mineral ingredients that power through stuck-on foods and nasty tea or coffee stains.
We like the fact that it has a completely natural and non-toxic formula that makes it safe to use in any kind of dishwasher. More so, the producer offers you the ability to order one package for testing or eight packages in bulk at a discount.
4. Better Life Natural Dishwasher Soap Gel Detergent
- GREASE-KICKING FORMULA - This ultra-concentrated dishwasher soap powers through stubborn stains and stuck-on food for dazzlingly clean dishes, glasses, and utensils.
- WORKS WITH - Our dishwasher detergent liquid is compatible with any automatic dishwasher to expertly clean dishes, glasses, utensils, pots, and pans splattered with anything your kitchen can cook up!
- WORRY-FREE WASHING - Our dishwashing detergent is made with no petroleum solvents, chlorine or bleach, added alcohols, added parabens, SLS or SLES to give you peace of mind. Septic safe.
|30 Fluid Ounces
With natural crumb crushing properties, the Better Life Dishwasher Soap works phenomenally well.
You can order one, two, or three bottles, each with 30 Fl Oz of detergent. And the best part: it’s completely non-toxic. While we still don’t recommend you drink it, it’s far less harmful on your skin than other substances.
Furthermore, the Better Life Gel Detergent is made with local purified water for maximum consistency. Its sodium citrate comes from mineral sources, acts like a cleaning agent and fights against hard water. Apart from this, it also contains a few more natural cleaning agents for maximum effectiveness against all types of food, liquid, and stains.
The Better Life Natural Dishwasher Soap Gel Detergent is completely natural and efficient.
While some people may find the price a little too high, we think it’s worth it considering how many dishes you can wash with just a tablespoon of dishwasher soap.
3. Palmolive Eco+ Dishwasher Detergent Gel (3 Pack)
- Friendly to lakes and streams
- Fresh Lemon scent
- Full of cleaning power
|45 Fluid Ounces x 3 Bottles
If you prefer liquid dishwasher soap, then Palmolive Eco+ might be just what you were looking for.
With well over 2000 user ratings, you can tell that people are very pleased with their purchase. Many people like the fresh lemon smell and the scent residue it leaves in the dishwasher.
Also, the Palmolive Eco+ Dishwasher Soap makes a lot of suds with just a tiny amount of detergent. That way, your dishes will get cleaned better and more efficiently. It indirectly enhances how much electricity your dishwasher needs for great results.
The Palmolive Eco+ Dishwasher Soap Pack is highly concentrated and efficient. It’s an effective liquid dishwasher detergent pack that saves a lot of money in the long run.
Not only that, but it also comes in great packaging that prevents any leakage in case the bottles get dropped during shipping. Their customer support is also great in case you experience such unpleasantries.
2. Finish All in 1 Dishwasher Soap Powerball
- Help soften the toughest food residues like baked-on lasagna and dried-on oatmeal for easy removal
- Powerful cleaners remove even the toughest stains. No need to pre-soak or pre-rinse with Powerball cuts through grease & scrubs away burnt & dried-on food
- Each individually wrapped Finish Powerball tab provides a premeasured dose of detergent, eliminating guesswork and dissolves completely
|94 Powerball Tabs
Coming from one of the best dishwasher detergent manufacturers, The Finish All in 1 Dishwasher Detergent Powerball has some amazing properties.
First off, it softens the toughest food residues such as baked-on lasagna. Secondly, it cuts through grease, so washing after an oily meal becomes easy. Finally, the built-in rinse agent removes film and white stains caused by hard water.
Also, the Finish Powerball comes pre-measured, eliminating all guessing games. Considering this factor, you could easily rank it as one of the best dishwasher detergents for hard water. But don’t take our word for it. See below what people who have used it have to say.
The Finish All in 1 Powerball is as good as you’d expect. This brand has never disappointed us regardless of their products.
As far as pricing goes, we can’t complain at all. Each tab washes a whole load of dishes to near perfection. And you get 94 of them in this package.
1. Lemi Shine Complete Dishwasher Soap + Extras Bundle
|15 Detergent Pacs + Cleaner, Booster, Rinse Aid
If you want the best deal you can get, we wholeheartedly recommend this bundle of dishwashing products.
Lemi Shine offers a natural dishwasher detergent, rinse aid, booster additive, and a machine cleaner for a highly affordable price. As far as the detergent goes, we can’t complain about anything regarding its cleaning power in regular conditions.
If you need extra power, mixing it with the detergent booster also removes stuck-on foods and greatly reduces hardened bits. When dealing with hard water, just add the included rinse aid in its specific dispenser. Finally, when you need to clean your dishwasher, the machine cleaner does an excellent job in a relatively short time. And the best part about the cleaner? It also works for washing machines and garbage disposal systems.
The Lemi Shine Complete Dishwasher Bundle covers everything you need to own for perfectly-washed dishes and a clean dishwasher to boot.
We’ve selected it as our top choice in this article because there’s no other bundle with so many amazing products at such a low price.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you really need soap in the dishwasher?
If you only need to rinse or dry your dishes, then no, you don’t need dishwasher soap or detergent. But if you need to clean, then you need to add it.
Can I use vinegar instead of dishwasher detergent?
White vinegar should only be used as a rinse aid or descaler. It can’t replace dishwasher soap, booster, or any other cleaning agent.
Can you use laundry detergent in your dishwasher?
We don’t recommend doing so because laundry detergent is slightly more concentrated and can cause too many soap suds to form.
Instead, try using manual dishwasher detergent, but only add one or two drops and add some washing soda on top of that.
Will manual dish soap ruin a dishwasher?
You should never substitute regular dishwasher soap with manual dishwasher soap, not even if you don’t have any other option available. In case you run out of regular dishwasher detergent, you’re better off grabbing a pair of dishwashing gloves and washing the dishes like you did before this magnificent appliance came into your life. While you’re at it, you might also want to check out the best dish drying racks so you will have somewhere to put them afterward.
Can you put baking soda in the dishwasher?
Yes, baking soda can be used in the dishwasher thanks to its dirt-dissolving capabilities and its acidity that drowns out limescale deposits. When combined with white vinegar, it forms an even more powerful agent to deter existing limescale deposits and even prevent future limescale appearances for a limited amount of time.
How can I make homemade dishwasher soap?
Get these five ingredients:
- 1 cup of washing soda (cleaner)
- 1 cup of baking soda (cuts out the grease)
- 3 packages unsweetened lemonade drink mix (added cleaning power, antibacterial and smells awesome)
- 1 cup of Kosher Salt (reduces hard water build-up – you can discard this if you have soft water)
- 1 cup of water
Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl with a spoon, then add a tablespoon to your washer dispenser and wash as usual. See? It’s really simple to make. But the problem lies in the fact that the powder can harden inside the container. You can try putting some rice in a sock, tying it up, and then placing it in the container so that the rice can suck up any extra humidity.
The best dishwasher soap needs to clean efficiently and with as little toxins as possible.
Take your time to review all the relevant information from the above reviews. Then choose the dishwasher soap that fits your needs. Finally, we recommend taking a look at how to clean your dishwasher.