Getting the best dishwasher tablets will save you a lot of time and trouble in the long run.
How come? Two simple reasons: you won’t have to second guess the amount of detergent needed, and tablets are usually more efficient against hard water.
- 1 Best Dishwasher Tablets (Updated List)
- 2 10. Ecover Zero Automatic Dishwashing Tablets
- 3 9. cleancult Dishwasher Tablets
- 4 8. Finish 0% Dishwasher Detergent Tablets
- 5 7. Ecoleaf Natural Dishwasher Tablets
- 6 6. Amaze! Premium All-in-One Dishwasher Tablets
- 7 5. Finish Quantum Max Tablets
- 8 4. IF YOU CARE Automatic Dishwasher Tablets
- 9 3. Ecover Automatic Dishwasher Soap Tablets
- 10 2. Miele Dishwasher Tabs
- 11 1. Finish Quantum Infinity Shine Powerball
- 12 Frequently asked questions
- 12.1 Do you have to unwrap dishwasher tablets?
- 12.2 Should I choose dishwasher powder or tabs?
- 12.3 Are dishwasher tablets safe?
- 12.4 Can you just throw a tablet in the dishwasher?
- 12.5 What else can dishwasher tablets be used for?
- 13 Final thoughts
Best Dishwasher Tablets (Updated List)
Below we have listed some of the best dishwasher tablets that you can get right now at an affordable price.
Before we get into the rankings, however, here are our top three picks based on reliability, user reviews, and convenience.
10. Ecover Zero Automatic Dishwashing Tablets
With dishwashing and environment protection in mind, the Ecover Zero Dishwasher Tablets manage to deliver on both promises.
For your everyday dishwashing needs, these will do just fine. They have the ability to tackle stuck-on foods and hard stains efficiently. The resulting water is completely safe for your septic or drainage system.
The only somewhat disappointing downside is that the Ecover Zero Tablets can’t handle grease all that well. Grease still goes away to a degree, but not completely. You’ll need to do a pre-rinse if you plan on washing greasy dishes. Not a big disadvantage, but worth mentioning nonetheless.
The Ecover Zero Automatic Dishwashing Tablets offer all the benefits of the best dishwasher tablets without nasty chemicals.
The pros far outweigh the cons, and the fact that having plastic wrappers kind of defeats the purpose of being eco-friendly doesn’t diminish their dishwashing quality.
9. cleancult Dishwasher Tablets
- Truly Clean Dishes: Many automatic dish detergents can leave chemicals on your dishes, but our dissolvable dishwashing tablets are nontoxic so your dishes come out clean without leftover chemical residue
- Easy to Use: Tablets are a convenient way to wash your dishes; Take the guesswork out of how much liquid or powder to use; One tablet is the perfect amount for the whole load; Best of all, there is nothing to spill
- Environmentally Responsible: From our 100% biodegradable tablets to our refillable shatter-resistant glass storage containers (not included with refill only packs), buying cleancult dishwasher tablets is a sustainable, eco friendly purchase
Despite their relatively high price, the cleancult Dishwasher Tablets are worth it for all their benefits.
The company that makes these wants to make cleaning clean again by ditching all the nasty chemicals that you would normally find in commercial dishwasher detergent.
So far, people seem to like them, and we like them too. The only reason that the cleancult Dishwasher Tablets didn’t reach a higher position in our rankings is because they are a relatively new product and we want to see how well they will hold up in the long run.
The cleancult Dishwasher Tablets provide a great cleaning solution for those who want to deal with less chemicals.
They are vegan, GMO-free, and they have never been tested on animals. So if you like clean dishes with a dash of cruelty-free vibes, these might just be the best dishwasher tablets for you.
8. Finish 0% Dishwasher Detergent Tablets
- FREE FROM CHLORINE BLEACH AND PHOSPHATES - Our Finish 0% dishwasher detergent has been carefully formulated to deliver a Finish Clean, without all the harsh chemicals
- LESS FRAGRANCE - With Finish 0%, you receive a detergent with reduced fragrance compared to more commonly available dish washing products
- LESS DYES - It has less dyes compared to more commonly available dish washing products. No harsh smells when washing your dishes
|Scent:||Natural Essential Oils|
The gigantic US Brand Finish has come to the natural detergent market with their 0% Dishwasher Tablets.
As far as efficiency goes, the 0% Dishwasher Detergent Tablets from Finish provide a good cleaning solution for everyday dishwashing needs.
They provide a pleasant smell that’s not too powerful. Also, as with all natural detergent, they are completely safe for your septic system and they won’t irritate your skin.
However, don’t expect them to be as powerful against grease and grime. While they work fine for tea and coffee stains, you’ll most likely need to pre-rinse and scrub hard food remains. Otherwise, you might find yourself having to wash the dishes a second time.
The Finish 0% Dishwasher Detergent Tablets are perfect for those who want to deal with zero harmful chemicals.
While they might not be perfect against tough food remains and grease, they do an otherwise excellent job with regular stains and other dishwashing needs.
7. Ecoleaf Natural Dishwasher Tablets
- with built in rinse aid
- with degreasing action
|Scent:||Natural Lemon Smell|
Ecoleaf has brought us some of the best dishwasher tablets that use only natural and non-toxic ingredients.
Each tab contains lemon essential oil, oxygen-based bleach agents, and plant enzymes. The wrapper found on each Ecoleaf Dishwasher Tablet dissolves in water seamlessly so you don’t have to fiddle around with it.
Even though lemon essential oil is present, the tablets leave no harsh smell on the dishes or in the dishwasher tub. You’ll most probably only feel a slight scent when smelling the dishes up close. This is a major improvement over other dishwasher tablets.
The Ecoleaf Natural Dishwasher Tablets do an overall fine job of cleaning dishes and eliminating nasty smells.
While not the most impressive we’ve ever seen, the user reviews and ingredients used, and fair price make it worthy to give them a try.
6. Amaze! Premium All-in-One Dishwasher Tablets
- To purchase a case of 10 packs, search ASIN B07NM2J91L
- Reduce or eliminate the need for Rinse Aid, Detergent Boosters, Dishwasher Salts and Machine Cleaners
- Top choice for hard water conditions!
These Premium Dishwasher Tablets from Amaze! are made with powerful enzymes that wash every dish thoroughly.
Apart from being an excellent dishwasher detergent, these tablets also contain a rinse-aid agent that further reduces the cost of keeping your dishes clean.
Furthermore, the Amaze! Dishwasher Tablets are highly efficient at eliminating limescale deposits and preventing minerals from building up again. This way, you’ll also save money on dishwasher salts and cleaners.
As for how efficiently they wash dishes, note that they’re highly effective against grease, stains, and even 24-hour stuck-on food remains. The scent is pleasant, and it’s not too overpowering, so you’ve got yet another advantage if you have a sensitive smell.
The Amaze! Premium All-in-One Dishwasher Tablets are an amazing deal for those looking to save money in the long run.
Not only do they wash dishes adequately, but they also substitute rinse-aid, machine washers, dishwasher salts, and detergent boosters.
5. Finish Quantum Max Tablets
- World's #1 Recommended Brand* (*Recommended by more dishwasher brands worldwide)
- No need to pre-soak or pre-rinse with Powerball that powers away tough grease & scrubs away burnt & dried-on food
- Prevents redeposits & provides glass protection
A relatively new product from one of the most renowned dishwasher detergent manufacturers, the Finish Quantum Max 100 Dishwasher Tablets Package comes at an affordable price.
Each tab contains an advanced powder with bleach formula that removes even the most annoying stains, like coffee and tea. One thing we like is that they come with no individual wrapper and don’t dissolve as easily from just a few drops of water.
Some of the people who have used these dishwasher tablets claim that they are better than any other hard water detergent they’ve tried. The Finish Quantum Max tabs leave no white stains or film on any dish, which is always a good sign if water hardness is an ongoing issue in your household.
Finish Quantum Max are some of the best dishwasher tablets you will ever get to use if you have hard water problems.
They’re so powerful that they even take care of nasty stains, such as burnt-in food, coffee, tea, wine, and much, much more.
4. IF YOU CARE Automatic Dishwasher Tablets
- Powerful plant formula with no phosphates, no chlorine; biodegradable
- Powerful mineral and plant formula - super concentrated. Will dissolve quickly in water, so there is no need to unwrap
- Non-toxic, no phosphates, no chlorine
A weird name for sure, but If You Care Tabs are some of the best dishwasher tablets that also work in hard water.
Each individual tab comes in a soluble wrapper to keep them protected. Being soluble, you don’t have to cut the wrapper as it dissolves quickly when it comes in contact with water.
The If You Care Dishwasher Tablets are small and round, about 3/4 to 1″ wide and 1/2″ wide. They easily fit in any dishwasher dispenser without clogging it. We also like that it doesn’t seem to affect silver and stainless steel dishes if you wash them together.
The If You Care Automatic Dishwasher Tablets work remarkably well and they’re a great natural substitute for detergent.
While they come in a wrapper for protection, it dissolves quickly in water so you don’t have to spend extra time cutting. As for the cleaning process, we have nothing to complain about.
3. Ecover Automatic Dishwasher Soap Tablets
- Contains (1) box, with 45 individual tabs of dishwasher soap inside
- Plant based & mineral automatic dishwasher tabs
- Powers away stuck on food & gets dishes sparkling clean
Made with environmental friendliness and dishwashing efficiency in mind, the Ecover Dishwasher Tablets fully deliver on both promises.
Using just one tab, you will see that it removes hard food particles and stains easily without leaving a film. One thing we like is that the Ecover Automatic Dishwasher Tablets are also efficient in removing hard water stains.
Another positive aspect is that they leave no toxic chemicals in the water or on your dishes. And while some people may complain about the tabs being individually wrapped in plastic, the company has stated that it does so to prevent them from crumbling because of air and humidity. Also, the plastic wrapping is recyclable. But we wish it would just dissolve in water like others.
The Ecover Automatic Dishwasher Soap Tablets are just as impressive as they are affordable.
Because of their non-toxic ingredients, you can rest assured that you’re keeping the environment and yourself safe. However, the best part is that they don’t leave any film whatsoever, unlike many other natural detergents.
2. Miele Dishwasher Tabs
- Sparkling Results – even with stubborn soiling and food deposits
- Water-soluble Wrapping - No unpacking thanks to the water-soluble foil
- With functions such as rinse aid, salt, glassware protection, and Quick Intense Wash
|Tab amount:||60 or 120|
Here is somewhat of a rarity: a dishwasher manufacturer that also produces tablets.
The Miele Dishwasher Tabs were designed specifically for the functionality of Miele dishwashers. However, you don’t need one to use these tabs.
Any dishwasher brand can support them, with several users reporting that half a tab is more than enough to wash a full load – more than half creates too much soap.
Although the tabs themselves don’t have a cutting outline, you can easily split them in two with a pair of scissors. We recommend at first just trying half of a Miele dishwasher tablet to test how it works for your machine. Look at the bright side, you’ll be saving some money if that’s the case.
The Miele Dishwasher Tabs come at an ultra-premium price, but also with ultra efficiency.
If you have a Miele dishwasher, they will work perfectly out of the box. If not, you might need to cut each tab in two pieces to avoid having too much soap, which will save you money in the long run.
1. Finish Quantum Infinity Shine Powerball
- NEW FINISH QUANTUM INFINITY SHINE: the new Finish Quantum Infinity Shine scrubs, degreases, and shines delivering our best ever in clean and shine vs. Finish Quantum with 3 separate fast dissolving chambers
- POWER: scrubbing power to break down and remove toughest stuck on food in one wash
- GEL: Grease cutting power handles even the toughest messes
The best dishwasher tablets that you can currently get are by far the Quantum Infinity Shine Powerball from Finish.
This package will last you 70 full loads of dishes seamlessly. Each tab is comprised of three compartments containing different substances for efficient cleaning.
The Finish Quantum Infinity Shine Tabs come with no individual wrapper, so you won’t be wasting any time when washing dishes. Just get a tab from the box, place it in the dispenser, and run any wash cycle as you would normally do.
The Finish Quantum Infinity Shine Powerball is just as effective as you would expect a premium dishwasher tablet from this brand to be.
Its price might be a bit higher than other options, but the quality is outstanding. And we also like the fact that the manufacturer has made the package recyclable.
Frequently asked questions
Do you have to unwrap dishwasher tablets?
That depends on what dishwasher tablets you choose. Those that come in a plastic non-soluble wrapper need to be unwrapped. However, many tablets these days, especially ones that praise their eco-friendliness, don’t need to be unwrapped.
Should I choose dishwasher powder or tabs?
Both of them are good options as long as they are made with quality ingredients. However, just like with all different things in life, they have advantages and disadvantages. Powder detergent needs to be measured before putting it in the dishwasher.
Also, if the package gets damaged, you might spill all of it all over the floor. Tablets don’t have these issues. They’re convenient and easy to use. But some tablets might be too big for your dishwasher detergent dispenser and you might need to cut them in half. Other times, you can stumble upon tablets that produce too many soap suds, and, again, you’ll need to cut them.
Are dishwasher tablets safe?
Unlike pods, tablets don’t spill any liquid when they’re perforated. They won’t affect your skin nearly as much if you accidentally get some of the particles on your fingers for instance.
However, they are still toxic is they get in your eyes or if you ingest them. We don’t recommend trying such experiments not even with non-toxic natural tablets, as they can still cause burns in your eyes or disrupt the natural flow of your digestive system.
Can you just throw a tablet in the dishwasher?
No, we don’t recommend doing this. Dishwasher tablets go inside the dispenser. Throwing them in the dishwasher tub will just make them dissolve during the pre-rinse cycle.
And even if you skip the pre-rinse cycle, they will still dissolve too quickly during the regular cycles and won’t be able to clean your dishes at all. You might even find soap buildup on the spray arms if you choose to do this. So, in short, we recommend only putting them in the dispenser in accordance with your dishwasher’s manual.
What else can dishwasher tablets be used for?
While dishwasher tabs are mainly used for cleaning dishes, they also have some other surprising uses.
Cleaning the oven door
Dip a dishwasher tab in a glass of warm water and scrub the interior of the oven door with it. The substances inside the tab will get rid of hard stuck-on food remains, grease, and grime.
Make scorched pans look like new
Remember how your pots and pans used to look like when you bought them? We all wish that ours would look like that again. Fortunately, you can dip a dishwasher tab in warm water and scrub the scorched part of your pan thoroughly. With a little patience and hard work, your pan will look brand new again.
Clean the garbage bin
Garbage cans are far from being the cleanest household items. And while you can prevent it from becoming disgusting by using garbage bags and keeping food out of it, we still recommend cleaning it at least twice a year. “But how do I do this?”, you might ask. Fill the garbage bin with as much warm water as you can and then simply drop a dishwasher tab in it. Wait for it to dissolve, then wait an hour before rinsing it with hot water.
Rinse away oil spills
First and foremost, don’t throw the dishwasher tab directly into the oil spill. Use an old cloth, cornstarch, or other products to absorb the oil until only the stain remains. Afterwards, wet the area and use a dishwasher tablet to scrub all around the stain. You might need to use several tablets depending on how far the spill has gone. Leave it to sit for half an hour then rinse away with warm water.
Now that you’ve seen what are the best dishwasher tablets, you can make a more informed decision.
Take notes from all the strengths and weaknesses of all these products and choose the one that fits your needs and budget the most.