When it comes to saving time, a dishwasher is indispensable. It cleans and sanitizes dishes better than any human can.
Exceptional dishwashers come in many categories and fulfill different needs. For example, the best cheap dishwasher won’t be as good as the best cleaning dishwasher, or the best drying dishwasher, but it will still get the primary task done.
- 1 Best Dishwashers Reviews (Updated List)
- 2 12. Best non-dishwasher brand dishwasher: BLACK+DECKER BCD6W
- 3 11. Best new-entry dishwasher: NOVETE Compact Dishwasher with 5 L Built-in Water Tank
- 4 10. Best fast-cleaning dishwasher: Farberware FDW05ASBWHA Countertop Dishwasher with 5-Liter Built-in Water Tank
- 5 9. Best energy-saving dishwasher: STS SD-9254SS: Energy Star 18″ Built-In Dishwasher w/Heated Drying
- 6 8. Best leak-proof dishwasher: EdgeStar BIDW1802BL 18 Inch Wide 8 Place Setting Built-In Dishwasher
- 7 7. Best quiet dishwasher: Bosch SHEM63W55N 24″ 300 Series Built-In Full Console Dishwasher with 5 Wash Cycles
- 8 6. Best countertop dishwasher: EdgeStar DWP62SV 6 Place Setting Energy Star Rated Portable Countertop Dishwasher
- 9 5. Best RV dishwasher: Furrion 18″ Built-In RV Dishwasher with Double Rack
- 10 4. Best compact dishwasher: Fisher Paykel DD24SAX9 24″ Drawers Full Console Dishwasher
- 11 3. Best dishwasher for hard water: hOmeLabs Compact Countertop Dishwasher
- 12 2. Best affordable dishwasher: Frigidaire FFCD2418US 24 Inch Built-In Dishwasher with 5 Wash Cycles and 14 Place Settings
- 13 1. Best dishwasher overall: Bosch SHS863WD5N 300 Series Built-In Dishwasher with 5 Wash Cycles
- 14 Frequently asked questions
- 14.1 How does a dishwasher work?
- 14.2 My dishes come out with white spots frequently. What should I do?
- 14.3 Which brand of dishwasher lasts the longest?
- 14.4 How long should a dishwasher last?
- 14.5 Is repairing a dishwasher worth it?
- 14.6 How do I choose a quiet dishwasher?
- 14.7 When is the best time to buy a dishwasher?
- 14.8 What’s the difference between washing dishes by hand and using a dishwasher?
- 14.9 Should I pre-rinse dishes before putting them in a dishwasher?
- 14.10 How do I properly load a dishwasher?
- 14.11 Should the silverware handles go up or down in the dishwasher?
- 14.12 How hot does a dishwasher get?
- 15 Final thoughts
Best Dishwashers Reviews (Updated List)
Our top dishwasher picks come from Bosch, Frigidaire, and hOmeLabs.
We have ranked them as the best overall dishwasher, best affordable dishwasher, and best countertop dishwasher.
12. Best non-dishwasher brand dishwasher: BLACK+DECKER BCD6W
- 6-place setting capacity
- Accommodates dinner plates up to 10"
- 7 wash programs—intensive/normal/eco/glass/90 min/rapid/soak
|Dimensions:||17.2 x 21.5 x 21.7 inches|
|Accessories:||Quick connect system; optional adapter (purchased separately)|
If you want a dishwasher under $500, the BLACK+DECKER BCD6W is one option worth considering when you take into account all its features.
It has a delay start option that goes up to 24 hours, decent washing efficiency, well thought-out washing cycles, and a fairly spacious interior considering its size.
The BLACK+DECKER BCD6W is also equipped with an easily readable digital display timer that tells you how much time there’s left on the selected wash cycle.
The BLACK+DECKER BCD6W is surprisingly good considering the fact that it comes from a brand that’s more well-known for drills and other similar tools.
Overall, we think that it’s worthy for a spot on this list because it holds up quite well given the price, features, and effectiveness that it offers.
11. Best new-entry dishwasher: NOVETE Compact Dishwasher with 5 L Built-in Water Tank
- 【SMALL SIZE, LARGE CAPACITY】This portable dishwasher only measures 16.9 x 16.8 x 18.1 inches, but holds 4 full place settings and fits up to 12" dishes loaded at an angle, easily meeting daily needs for a family of 3-4; the double-layer design offers enough space for 4 x serving bowls, 4 x cups, 4 x small plates, 4 x dinner plates, 7 x spoons, 7 x forks and 7 x knives; perfect for small-sized houses, apartments, dorms, boats, and campers/RVs
- 【NO INSTALLATION NEEDED】This countertop dishwasher supports 2 water supply modes, including a faucet mode and water tank mode; a built-in 5 L water tank allows instant use when fully filled. The automatic water level indicator lets you know when the correct water level has been reached; to use the faucet mode, simply connect the water inlet hose to the machine and faucet
- 【BABY CARE MODE】This compact dishwasher offers 5 wash cycles - Normal, Speed, ECO, Baby Care/Heavy, and Fruit; the Baby Care/Heavy mode with 167 °F washing temperature is suitable for baby products and oily tableware, which rinses them thoroughly and gives glassware a sparkling clean finish
|Dimensions:||16.86 x 16.75 x 18.05 inches|
|Accessories:||Tableware basket, storage rack, cutlery basket, inlet hose, drain hose, fruit basket, pitcher, hose collar|
Having appeared around August 2020, the NOVETE Countertop Dishwasher represents a fantastic offering for those looking to purchase a reliable, budget-friendly countertop dishwasher.
However, don’t be fooled by its low price. This little dishwasher has some enticing features that you will rarely find on other models, even higher-priced ones. As an example, it has a baby care feature that sanitizes bottles and toys, a fruit basket with a dedicated washing mode, and a built-in water tank in case you don’t want to connect it to the faucet.
Furthermore, the NOVETE Compact Dishwasher can fit an impressive amount of plates, tableware, cups, and other amenities inside of it despite its compact size. And one final thing that sets it apart from the competition is the ventilated storage option.
The NOVETE Compact Dishwasher is the newest, most affordable, and most capable dishwasher that has recently appeared.
While it has been on the market for only some time, people already love it and the user reviews speak for themselves. As far as price-to-value ratio, capabilities, and efficiency go, it’s up there with the best countertop dishwashers.
10. Best fast-cleaning dishwasher: Farberware FDW05ASBWHA Countertop Dishwasher with 5-Liter Built-in Water Tank
- QUALITY CONTROL NOTE All dishwashers are factory tested to ensure proper operation As a result it is normal for small amounts of residual water to be found in the unit
- COMPACT DESIGN: This convenient dishwasher can fit a variety of dishes (up to 12-inches in diameter at an angle) and is ideal for small-sized houses, apartments, dorms, boats and campers/RVs
- NO HOOKUPS NEEDED: If you want the advantage of portability and storage, this dishwasher gives you the choice to fill the built-in tank so you don't need a water hookup. Water hose is included for a direct water hookup to kitchen faucet (adapter not included)
|Dimensions:||17.3 x 16.5 x 17.3 inches|
|Accessories:||Water hose, built-in water tank, and fruit basket|
The Farberware FDW05ASBWHA Countertop Dishwasher manages to surprise with its 5-Liter Built-in Water Tank, compact design, and overall impressive quality.
The most impressive aspect about it is that you don’t need to hook it up to your water system if you don’t want to.
You’ll receive a water hose in the package that allows you to connect it to a tap. Let its integrated 5-liter built-in tank to fill up, and you’ll be ready to wash your dishes.
If portability is your main concern or if you don’t have enough space for a regular dishwasher, the Farberware FDW05ASBWHA Countertop Dishwasher is an option you should consider.
The rapid-washing mode is suitable for washing dishes quickly, while the Baby Care, Glass & Fruit modes are made to target exactly what their name suggests. And best of all, you don’t need any plumbing knowledge to hook it up – you can simply connect its hose to the tap.
9. Best energy-saving dishwasher: STS SD-9254SS: Energy Star 18″ Built-In Dishwasher w/Heated Drying
- Built-in, top-mount
- 6 Wash Programs: Normal, Heavy, Energy, Glass, Quick, Rinse
- HEATING function during drying cycle
|Dimensions:||17.6 x 22.6 x 32.4 inches|
If you’re looking to keep your electricity bill and noise levels to a minimum, the STS SD-9254SS dishwasher manages to be reasonably quiet with 52 decibels, which is louder than a soft whisper in a library but softer than a quiet living-room conversation.
It has a stainless steel tub and two spacious racks and a basket for silverware. It will fit in most standard-sized apartments, and it’s Energy Star compliant.
You will also receive top-mounting brackets and a drain tube in the package. Otherwise, you will only need standard tools that you use to install such appliances in your home.
The STS SD-9254SS built-in dishwasher is a good choice if you want to get a decently-sized dishwasher that can fit inside smaller kitchen cabinets. It will serve you well without inflating your electricity bill too much. And the features it provides are decent for its size.
8. Best leak-proof dishwasher: EdgeStar BIDW1802BL 18 Inch Wide 8 Place Setting Built-In Dishwasher
- Accommodates up to eight (8) place settings and features a silverware basket and cup tray
- Six (6) Wash Cycles: Heavy, Normal, ECO, Glass, Rapid, and Rinse; Three (3) Options: Sanitize, Hi Temp, Heated Dry
- At only 17.75 inches wide, using this unit to replace an older appliance such as a trash compactor is a great option.
|Dimensions:||22.4 x 17.6 x 32.5 inches|
With features such as 8 place settings, a silverware basket, and a cup tray, the EdgeStar BIDW1802BL dishwasher manages to stand out from many other dishwashers of this category.
It has 6 different wash cycles and three drying options that get the job done quite well.
The built-in leakage sensor automatically turns off the water flow if any leaks are detected, which is a more than welcomed security feature.
It manages to fit inside smaller spaces while still having enough room to fit quite enough dishes, silverware, and other items.
The EdgeStar BIDW1802B dishwasher is one of the best options if you want a dishwasher that’s bigger than a countertop one but still small enough to fit inside a tiny kitchen.
The price is decent for a dishwasher of this size. And although it lacks certain parts in the kit, once you get them, the installation itself is an almost instinctive process.
7. Best quiet dishwasher: Bosch SHEM63W55N 24″ 300 Series Built-In Full Console Dishwasher with 5 Wash Cycles
- Stainless Steel Tall-Tub Interior
- 5 Wash Cycles / 4 Options
- 16 Place Settings Capacity
|Dimensions:||37 x 27 x 27 inches|
With a full console that controls every setting on the dishwasher, the Bosch SHEM63W55N manages to further impress with its quietness and other features.
It has sensors that automatically adjust the cycle length depending on how dirty the wash water becomes during operation.
At just 44 decibels, the Bosch SHEM63W55N 300 series is only slightly louder than the typical ambient sound found in a library. You’ll also find the upper rack for silverware and large flat utensils quite useful and roomy.
The Bosch SHEM63W55N dishwasher is a more premium option if you want full control over the settings and if quietness is an important attribute for you.
It’s not nearly as compact as the previous models on our list, but it makes up for it with more interior space and well thought out design.
Even if you’ve never installed a dishwasher in your life, you’ll probably have no trouble setting up this model.
6. Best countertop dishwasher: EdgeStar DWP62SV 6 Place Setting Energy Star Rated Portable Countertop Dishwasher
- Six (6) standard place setting capacity / Includes dish rack, cup shelf, and cutlery basket
- Holds plates up to 10.5" in diameter / Seven (7) wash cycles / Quick connect adapter fits standard sized kitchen faucets / Beautiful digital display
- Stainless steel interior / Fits under most cabinetry / Water consumption (normal wash): 2.85 gallons
|Dimensions:||19.6 x 21.6 x 17.3 inches|
The EdgeStar DWP62SV dishwasher features amazing portability while still being able to hold plates up to 10.5″ in diameter.
The stainless steel interior guarantees no rust buildup, and it can hold up for years. It’s also an economical mode as well, as it consumes just 2.85 gallons on a regular wash.
To top it all off, it has a 45-minute cleaning cycle that gets the job done in many cases. You’ll encounter situations when you need a full cycle very rarely unless you intentionally leave large food chunks on the plates.
The EdgeStar DWP62SV is one of the best dishwashers out there if you have very limited storage space. It can get the job done in just 45 minutes in most cases, which is great if you don’t have many spare dishes.
It has a 1-year warranty, but in the majority of cases, you won’t need it. The dishwasher can last you for a couple of years and it’s highly unlikely you’ll need to contact customer support any time soon.
5. Best RV dishwasher: Furrion 18″ Built-In RV Dishwasher with Double Rack
- BUILT-IN DISHWASHER: The perfect dishwasher to save energy and space on your RV with this compact, Energy Star certified dishwasher. Detergent and rinse dispenser systems use less detergent and water than household dishwashers.
- DOUBLE LOADING RACK: The top and bottom loading rack includes a utensil basket and a folding cup shelf. The folding shelves provide additional space for small cups. 3 in 1 tablet container clips onto the loading rack.
- 3 PART FILER: The dishwasher has a3-part, plastic, and stainless filter that prevents food from getting into the water pump. The primary filter collects and crushes debris and washes it down the drain. The second coarse filter catches larger pieces of debris. And the last fine filter keeps debris from being re-deposited onto the dishes.
|Dimensions:||17.5 x 22.9 x 33.3 inches|
|Water consumption:||4.2 gallons|
Traveling a lot in your RV? Then you wouldn’t want to miss having the Furrion 18″ Built-In RV Dishwasher.
It saves energy and space with its compact design, and its rinse dispenser system uses less detergents than many other models on the market.
It has a 3-part, plastic, and stainless filter that prevents food from getting into the water pump. And since it’s designed to work in a moving RV, you can rest assured that it’s durable and can withstand vibrations caused by driving on bad roads.
If you have an RV, then the Furrion FDW18SAS-SS dishwasher is an option you should consider. As long as you’re not bothered by a relatively high water consumption, it will serve you well.
You can fit up to 10-inch diameter dishes inside of it, so you’ll most likely also be able to wash pots and pans in it as well. The 3-part system keeps waste at bay and it’s easy to clean. Overall it’s a convenient addition to have with you on the road.
4. Best compact dishwasher: Fisher Paykel DD24SAX9 24″ Drawers Full Console Dishwasher
- 24" Drawers Full Console Dishwasher with 6 Wash Cycles, 7 Place Settings, Quick Wash, ADA Compliant, Energy Star Certified, DishDrawer Technology, Ergonomic in Stainless Steel with Recessed Handle
|Dimensions:||22.6 x 23.6 x 16.1 inches|
Coming in a compact format that can easily fit inside most kitchen drawer cabinets is the Fisher Paykel DD24SAX9 dishwasher.
It’s ADA-compliant, Energy Star-certified, and it offers an ergonomic stainless steel design. It has a full control console that is easy to operate, and it also comes with a drain hose and electric plug.
The recessed handle is ergonomic and easy to maneuver. Its overall design is ideal for those who want to wash many dishes at a time without sacrificing a lot of space inside their kitchens.
If you’re looking to save space inside your small kitchen or RV, you can’t go wrong with the Fisher Paykel DD24SAX9 dishwasher.
The pros far outweigh its weaknesses, and in case your unit arrives damaged, you can contact customer support and they’ll give you a replacement as soon as possible.
3. Best dishwasher for hard water: hOmeLabs Compact Countertop Dishwasher
- A convenient and small Energy Star certified dish washing machine for cleaning the dishes after dinner or cooking. Simply load the dishes in the dish basket and cutlery rack and let this white dishwasher do the dirty job. Easily sits on countertops or tabletop requiring less space
- With simple to use control panel and light indicators. Program selector has 6 wash cycle options: heavy, normal, ECO, glass, speed, and rinse for your different dishwashing needs. Delay button light to postpone wash cycle
- Features a quick connect assembly with accessories including inlet and drain hose and a faucet adapter for water lines that are compatible with round-shaped faucet outlets with removable aerators, and 55/64"-27 male or 15/16"-27 female threads underneath
|Dimensions:||21.6 x 19.6 x 17.2 inches|
|Water consumption:||3.1 gallons per load|
The hOmeLabs Compact Countertop Dishwasher is exactly as the name suggests – small and easy to fit on any kitchen countertop that you’ll find on the market today.
It has a simple to use control panel and informative light indicators. You’ll need no tools to connect it, as it comes with several accessories, an including inlet and drain hose, and a faucet adapter for water lines that are compatible with round-shaped faucet outlets.
Many people are incredibly pleased with the hOmeLabs Compact Countertop Dishwasher and for good reasons. It’s compact and lightweight while still managing to fit quite a lot of dishes inside.
The company also does an excellent job of servicing and offering customer support if you ever encounter problems with your particular unit. Its user-friendly controls and ease of installation make this the right choice if you’ve never installed or used a dishwasher before.
2. Best affordable dishwasher: Frigidaire FFCD2418US 24 Inch Built-In Dishwasher with 5 Wash Cycles and 14 Place Settings
- Filtration System - Self-cleaning filter eliminates food particles, keeping dishes clean.
- Stay-Put Door - The door stays put at whatever angle you open it for easy loading and unloading.
- Heated Drying System - Heating element helps dry your dishes the first time.
|Dimensions:||36 x 25 x 24 inches|
One of the most impressive things about the Frigidaire FFCD2418US 24 Inch Built-In Dishwasher is the self-cleaning filter that eliminates food particles.
Its door has a mechanism that keeps it locked in whatever position you put it in. This is very useful for loading and unloading dishes, as well as safety – you’ll no longer hurt your knee or another body part by a sliding dishwasher door.
At just 55 decibels it’s decently quiet, and you can easily cover the sound only by turning a TV or radio on at medium level. The heated drying system also does an excellent job of clearing away any water that might remain on your dishes after the dishwasher has cleaned them.
Frigidaire FFCD2418US 24 Inch Built-In Dishwasher with 5 Wash Cycles and 14 Place Settings is, without a doubt, one of the best dishwashers that you can buy in 2020.
The self-cleaning filter is one addition we’d like to see on more dishwashers on the market. It takes away an extra step that many people find cumbersome – washing away food bits before putting dishes inside the dishwasher.
1. Best dishwasher overall: Bosch SHS863WD5N 300 Series Built-In Dishwasher with 5 Wash Cycles
- Stainless Steel Interior W/ FlexSpace Tines
- 16 Place Settings / 5 Wash Cycles / 5 Wash Options
- Flexible 3rd Rack With Fold Down Sides
|Dimensions:||34 x 24 x 24 inches|
Our top pick for the best dishwasher in 2020 is the Bosch SHS863WD5N 300 Series Built-In Dishwasher with 5 Wash Cycles and 16 Place Settings.
The 3rd rack provides the perfect space for silverware and large utensils while its V shape leaves room below for taller items.
It’s Energy Star-compliant, which means that your electricity bill won’t be too inflated by using this model. The middle rack easily adjusts to three different heights and up to 9 separate rack positions, giving you enough maneuverability to put in large pots and pans.
The Bosch SHS863WD5N 300 Series Built-In Dishwasher is incredible. The majority of users are delighted with it, even with its hefty price tag.
It has some of the best dishwasher features you will ever find on the market today. The versatility, place settings, and efficient dryer as well as the other advantages it offers all propel it to the top of our list.
Frequently asked questions
How does a dishwasher work?
A dishwasher works by heating up water, dispensing the detergent inside the chamber, and cleaning the dishes by spraying hot water onto them. The dishwasher then drains the water, sprays hot water again to rinse the dishes, drains the water, and then heats up the chamber to dry out the dishes.
My dishes come out with white spots frequently. What should I do?
Which brand of dishwasher lasts the longest?
Several brands out there do an excellent job when it comes to reliability. But if we were to pick the best, Miele should be your go-to choice when it comes to long-lasting dishwashers.
How long should a dishwasher last?
Quality dishwashers can last for up to 12 years, or even more. Of course, how you take care of them also plays a big part in their lifespan. Take good care of your dishwasher, and if it’s one of the top brands, it might even last you 30 years.
Is repairing a dishwasher worth it?
This depends on the problem that your dishwasher has. If your dishwasher is still under warranty, then you can just send it to the service, and they’ll repair it or replace it for free. But if your dishwasher is more than eight years old, you should consider getting a new one.
How do I choose a quiet dishwasher?
The dishwasher’s noise level is rated in decibels or dB for short. While you’ve probably heard about decibels in the past, it is unlikely that most people know much about how you rate something in that measurement unit. So to give you an idea, here are a few practical examples of decibel ratings:
- A very soft whisper – 15 decibels
- A conversation at normal sound levels – 60 decibels
- A lawnmower doing its job properly – 90 decibels
- A car horn – 110 decibels
- A firecracker when it explodes – 140 decibels
When is the best time to buy a dishwasher?
You can get a good deal on a dishwasher several times a year. This usually happens around holidays such as Black Friday, Memorial Day, and the winter holiday season. You can also get a good deal when manufacturers come out with new models, or at the end of the month. Researchers also speculate that good deals tend to pop up on Thursdays for online shoppers.
What’s the difference between washing dishes by hand and using a dishwasher?
Although washing dishes by hand isn’t that hard, you won’t get the results that a dishwasher can offer. Dishwashers don’t just wash dishes, but also sanitize them. By combining detergent, heat, and the different washing cycles, dishes will come out thoroughly cleaned and sanitized compared to using only a sponge, dish soap, and water.
Should I pre-rinse dishes before putting them in a dishwasher?
In many modern dishwashers, pre-rinsing isn’t as necessary as it used to be. Their design and sensors allow even a lot of the cheap dishwashers to detect food particles, and many dishwasher detergents also can break down small chunks of food. As long as you take care of your dishwasher and clean it properly from time to time, pre-rinsing will do nothing except waste more precious water.
How do I properly load a dishwasher?
First and foremost, do not overload your dishwasher under any circumstances. Doing so will only cause technical issues over time, and the dishwasher won’t be able to clean and sanitize your dishes properly. Don’t stack glassware or silverware on top of each other. Separate them properly so that they have enough space for water to rinse them correctly: load cups, glasses, and small bowls on the top rack. Plates, pots, and pans should go onto the bottom rack. If you have more dishes that can’t fit inside, it’s better to wait for the first set to finish and then place the others inside.
Should the silverware handles go up or down in the dishwasher?
Alternate between putting one piece of silverware with the handle up, and one with the handle going down. This will ensure that silverware gets as clean and sanitary as possible. We also recommend placing knives with their handle up so that you won’t risk cutting yourself.
How hot does a dishwasher get?
Depending on the brand and the specific model, the dishwasher’s temperature should go anywhere from 130 to 170 degrees Fahrenheit. It reaches the maximum heat capacity during the drying cycles when the dishwasher actively works to evaporate the remaining water on the dishes.
Now you know how to choose the best dishwasher for your needs and how to maintain it in case any of the common problems ever occur.
We hope you’ve found this information useful and you can now make a decision easier based on your budget.